PLEASE NOTE: THE BLACK PANEL IS THE STANDARD VERSION
(SILVER AVAILABLE ON REQUEST)
The Noise Engineering Terci Ruina combines three classic distortions in 4 hp. Distortions are reinterpreted in classic NE style and routed through each other for complete sonic annihilation of any sound. Patch in and out anwyere in the signal chain to pick the best sound for your purpose (because modular). Looking for a pretty distortion? This is probably not your module. Unapologetically gross and dirty.
- FB: Distortion 1 drive amount. This circuit is uses two bipolar transistors for gain and Si diodes in feedback for clipping.
- FF: Distortion 2 drive amount. This circuit is uses an op amp for drive with Si diodes in feedforward for extreme saturation.
- FZ: Distortion 3 drive amount. This is a two stage bipolar transistor fuzz.
- In x3: The inputs for the three distortions. Can be used separately, but are normaled to the previous distortion’s output as shown on the panel. Patching breaks normalization.
- Out x3: The outputs for the three distortions. Can be used separately, but are normaled to the next distortion’s next as shown on the panel. Patching breaks normalization.
The first section, FB, is a two-stage asymmetric diode-feedback topology using high-beta bipolar transistors for gain. It ends up being a very nonlinear waveshaper that is sensitive to waveform symmetry. I find a lot of really interesting tones in the middle knob range on this one as the gain ends up controlling where in the waveform the nonlinearities occur.
FF is an asymmetric feed-forward diode clipper using op-amps for gain. This one is a pretty straight-forward diode clip with just enough asymmetry to make it fun. The knob goes from soft clip to heavy overdrive.
FZ is a high-gain bipolar fuzz. The knob blends between differently phased sections which gives the knob a low-pass to high-pass frequency response as it is turned up. The distortion is a bit more subtle on this but the filter allows the user to accentuate it nicely.
TR was not designed to be pretty or clean but was meant to invoke some of the chaos that happens when using guitar pedals. It will be noisy. It may pick up radio stations. There is a little gremlin in there.
Power: 30mA @ +12v / 25mA @ -12v