Mutable Instruments STREAMS provides two channels of extremely flexible signal dynamics manipulation.
Each channel consists of an analog voltage-controlled filter and amplifier (VCFA). The response curve of the amplifier section is continuously variable from exponential to linear. The amplifier gain is directly controllable from a CV input, through an attenuator. But what makes Streams truly unique is the multi-purpose EXCITE input. The signal routed to this input is analyzed by a micro-controller and translated into internal control voltages for the VCFA, turning Streams into a very versatile signal contouring tool. It can function in the following ways:
- The EXCITE input can work as a trigger input, triggering an internal AD or AR envelope routed to the gain and the filter cutoff (in variable amount).
- With only 6-HP of space, you can shape an oscillator or noise source into a full-bodied sound.
Vactrol curve generator
- The EXCITE input is processed by a digital model of a resistive opto-isolator (Vactrol), controlling the gain and the filter cutoff (in variable amount).
- The digital emulation allows the modification of properties of opto-isolators – such as response time – which are otherwise difficult to control.
- The virtual vactrol response can be either optimized for processing CVs, or triggers (for “plucked” sounds).
Amplitude and frequency content follower
- The envelope and cutoff of the EXCITE signal is measured, and applied to the signal on the VCFA input.
- Streams’ VCF is disabled, and the VCA is used to control the dynamics of the input signal.
- An intuitive control scheme allows the compressor to be used either for peak reduction/limiting operation; or for boosting signal levels with soft-limiting.
- The EXCITE input can be used as a side-chain.
Power: 100mA @ +12V / 30mA @ -12V