The Intellijel Shifty is essentially a combination of four sample and hold stages, a sequential gate and sequencer controller. This collection of functions allow for some specific and useful utility application.
One of the primary uses for Shifty is to take a monophonic sequence source and route each new note of the sequence to up to four different synthesizer voices in a specific pattern. In this way you can create pseudo polyphonic sequences since each voice can be triggered to play and sustain while the next voice int the sequence gets triggered. Another term for this is hocketing.
Shifty can also function as digital emulation of an Analog Shift Register. An Analog Shift register is essentially a little 4-slot voltage recorder and sequencer. When the first clock is received, Shifty passes the corresponding CV value to the first output. When the next clock is received, the previous CV values shifts to the second output so that the new CV can appear at the first output. Each time Shifty gets a new clock, its corresponding CV value is sent to the first out, while older CVs continue to shift down. There is no fifth output, so after four gates, the oldest CV value simply disappears.
This can be an interesting way to create chords that are up to four stacked notes when used with a pitch sequence source that has a harmonious series of notes (e.g. a pentatonic scale works really well). Even just using two of the outputs yields interesting melodic interplay and is an excellent way to make a simple sequence much more complex and interesting. Unlike its analog counterpart, Shifty’s SR mode does not suffer from voltage droop over time.
In a more basic way the Shifty could be used as a simple Sample & Hold or Track & Hold module – or as a sequential gate.
- In voice allocate mode (VOICES 2-4) the direction switches are for UP, DOWN, PINGPONG and RANDOM
- In Shift Register mode (SR) the directions are UP, DOWN, TOGGLE (via reset) and SCATTER.
- Manual button for sampling/tracking and advancing the sequence
- Manual reset button and jack
- Gate input can configured to act as a track or sample control via toggle switch
- Pitch input can sample or track pitches in the range of 0-10V
- The pitch outputs are driven by a precision quad DAC.
- Firmware is updateable by USB so if there are some interesting alternative modes of functionality or special features we will be open to adding them.
Power: 4mA @ +12V @ / 49mA @ -12V