NOW at REVISION 2. Features include Sidechain Compression, Envelope Generation, simple Slew Limiting & CV Processing (see below for details)
The Make Noise Optomix is a two channel Low Pass Gate, providing simultaneous voltage control over amplitude and frequency content of a signal. It is in essence, a Voltage Controlled Filter Amplifier (VCFA) that has an extremely organic response to control signals. The Low Pass Gate is a classic West Coast synthesis circuit.
- DAMP parameter programs how low pass gate responds to falling control transient, continuously variable from long, slow and ringing to short, fast and muted
- STRIKE Input allows use of Gate signal to trigger Low Pass Gate circuit, “plucking” or “striking” the vactrol
- DAMP and STRIKE parameters combine to allow for easy programming of percussive sounds (sharp Attack w/ Voltage Controlled Decay)
- Summing stage with an Auxiliary IN allows for chaining of multiple units creating larger mixes
- Direct coupled, process audio or control signals
- Utilizes 4 vactrols
A Normalization of a positive Offset has been added to each CHannel’s Signal INputs, which allows for level-shifting of CV, Envelope Generation, and even subtle, non-symmetrical clipping of signals.
- Envelope Generation – To use the new OPTOMIX for Envelope Generation, patch a Gate Signal to a CHannel’s STRIKE Input and patch the associated Channel Output to a modulation input of your choosing (e.g. the CV Input of a VCA).
- CV Processing – In a pinch, OPTOMIX may be used to generate an Offset, attenuate a Signal, and SUM a Signal with an Offset. This sort of Voltage Math is what makes modular synthesis so much fun!
- Slew Limiting – An OPTOMIX Channel may also be used as a simple Slew Limiter, with “FALL” time set by the associated Channel’s DAMP (Note: ”RISE” time would be short and unable to be modified).
- Sidechain Compression – A revised version of the DAMP circuit allows for Audio-rate signals to be used as Control Voltages. As a result, modulating a CHannel’s DAMP parameter relative to its CONTROL parameter now causes Gain Reduction, with the Compression Ratio set by its CONTROL parameter. For the best results, the CONTROL Combo Pot should be set to around 50%.
Max Depth: 24mm
Power: 25mA @ +12V / 25mA @ -12V