The DPW Design WF-1 is a Eurorack format wavefolder with some extra functions. It can be used for audio signal manipulation or as a utility module for control voltages.
- It has an IN signal that can be affected by the two control voltages P and N. The main output volume is controlled by the orange OUT knob.
- The lines on the front panel are not just decoration. They are there to help understand the function of the module. White lines show the clean signal path from IN that can be blended into the main mix on the OUT socket. The level of clean signal is set on CLEAN. Yellow lines show the modulation signal path. P is the folding of the positive side of the IN signal and N is the folding of the negative side. Both sides have the same controls.
- OffP is the offset signal, or threshold where the positive folding starts.
- OffN has the same function but is polarity switched compared to OffP. This means that turning both OffP and OffN max clockwise there will be no folding.
- Knob P and N are attenuverters for adding CV control on top of the offsets OffP and OffN. Green/red LEDs show what are being added be the attenuverters.
- The overall control of the amount of modulation is controlled by MOD. A green/red LED after the Mod control is showing the total combined modulation from the P and N side.
- The switch SYM can change asymmetrical to symmetrical modulation.
- FoP and FoN are logical signals that go high when folder P or N are active. Indicated by green/red LEDs. These signals are +/-5V so they can be used as audio signals. This is not a clean square wave, it has been shaped a bit to sound pleasing.
With all the folding and adding of signals the output can easily end up with more than +/-5V so a limiter/distortion switch is added to limit the maximum volume out and to add some extra sonic possibilities. This affects the signal going out to the SUM output.
The functioning of the Lim/0/Dist switch is:
- O position, bypassed. The output volume control has a range of 0 to 1 times amplification.
- LIM position, a soft stepped limiter that adds a lot of harmonics. Not made to be transparent. The volume control has a range of 0 to 5 times amplification to be able to drive signals harder in to the limiter.
- DIST position, almost Fuzz type of distortion, frequency dependent. The highs are rolled off a bit. The volume control has a range of 0 to 20 times amplification so it can be drived really hard in to the distortion.
- Both the limiter and distortion are DC coupled and also work with control signals.
When something is connected to FoP or FoN that signal is disconected from the main mix at SUM. This makes it possible to patch the three outputs from the module in many creative ways. As an example OUT can be a mono signal and FoP and FoN be treated as a stereo out for very big sounds.
The Wavefolder expander E-1 allows you to switch the Lim and Dist functions on and off via voltage control. One way to use this is as two types of CV controlled accent to the main output of the WF-1.
You can actually turn it on and off at up to about 1,5 kHz speed giving a sort of frequency modulation effect.
CHECK THE MANUAL HERE
Width: 12hp (WF-1) 2hp (E-1)
Power: 20mA @ +12V @ / 20mA @ -12V