“Focused versatility” seems an oxymoron when describing the features that led Klavis to design the Mixwitch. With only a pinch of mixing, inverting and controlled switching, they were able to brew up a plethora of combinations and uses. This is voltage processing magic!
The Mixwitch design comes from a frustration with “attenuvertors” (bipolar attenuators-inverters) whose “off position” is difficult to retrieve, especially in live situations. You would usually turn your pot to 12 o’clock, and hope that you reach that exact place where the audio is silent, or the outputted voltage is 0v.
Mixwitch uses a digitally-controlled analog path where polarity inversion would be at the touch of a button. So, the usefulness of attenuating/inverting can be realized by turning the pot down, swiftly pressing the inversion button and reopening the level. The zero level is where you expect it, with the pot fully down.
Once we had a clean polarity control, we easily added a mute function offering the benefit of pre- adjusted pot settings ready to be activated at will.
The next step was to bring something extra, useful and creative. There are plenty of analog switches controlled by a clock; but arbitrarily selecting an input with a voltage is less known. Having both control capabilities combined with our specific mixer features creates a unique fusion: welcome to the Mixwitch !
Dual 2 to 1 mixers, normalized into 4 to 1
- Click-less mute per mixer
- Click-less polarity inversion per input with LED indication
- Modulation vs. audio mode selection (lin/log) per mixer, with change of potentiometer curve response and LED indication.
- Two LEDs on each output showing the amplitude and polarity of the output signal
- Unconnected inputs present a fixed voltage to ease offset creation
- Full range DC-coupled analog signal path
- Switch among 4 inputs, only 2, or disabled
- Select an input sequentially with a clock/trigger
- Select an input randomly with a clock/trigger
- Select an input in relation to a control voltage
- CV and clock control are audio rate capable
- Settings retained over the power cycle
- High-quality potentiometers with metal shaft
- Skiff-friendly & compact module
NOTE: This module requires +5v power to be provided by your case’s power supply in order to operate.
Power: 22mA @ +12V @ / 26mA @ -12V / 13mA @ +5v