A Love Letter to the Analog Monosynth
A modern, semi-modular synthesizer inspired by the instruments designed by our heroes. The Pittsburgh Modular Microvolt 3900 takes a new approach to building a raw, analog monosynth with a host of unconventional and inspirational features. Patch cables optional.
Creative Synthesis Design
With our new temperature stabilized, dual VCA oscillator core, the analog audio engine of the Microvolt 3900 feeds a set of timbrel waveshapers crafted for deep harmonic shaping, enabling a layer of additive synthesis alongside the classic subtractive synthesis waveforms. Waveforms are fed into our binary filter, a custom state variable filter architecture offering near infinite resonance with or without self-oscillation. Sonically this creates a juicy, fluid filter adding depth and energy to the oscillator that can scream if you ask it to.
Dynamic VCA Technology
The heart of the Microvolt 3900’s sound is our new dynamic VCA technology. Where a standard VCA works in two dimensions, the Microvolt 3900 dynamic VCA technology adds a third dimension. As the dynamic VCA closes, decreasing the amplitude, harmonics are removed from the source. As the dynamic VCA opens, the harmonics are restored. This mimics the behavior of sounds in nature. The result is a lively, organic sounding synthesizer full of energy. The design of the dynamic VCA also allows the instrument to be plucked or struck, opening up another set of percussive musical possibilities.
Open Electronic Experimentation
The Microvolt 3900 is patched internally and does not require patch cables to dial in a wide variety of unique and powerful sounds. For deeper experimentation, the Microvolt 3900 includes a 39-point eurorack format friendly 1/8″ jack patchbay for complete signal routing control over a full complement of audio and modulation options. A four-stage envelope generator, multi-purpose function generator, wide range LFO, chaotic random source, arpeggiator, sequencer, and midi to CV control are also available to create dynamic sounds unique to the Microvolt 3900.
Microvolt 3900 Highlights
- Voltage controlled West Coast style wavefolder.
- Switchable harmonically rich sine wave.
- External preamp with independent 30x gain and output level controls.
- Classic Pittsburgh Modular low pass filter with extended resonance.
- Dynamic VCA with standard VCA and dynamic low pass gate modes.
- Variable overdrive on output.
- Multi-mode sequencing arpeggiator.
- Chaotic random CV and gate generator.
- Multi-tasking function generator works as a voltage controlled envelope, LFO, and oscillator.
- Highly tuned ADSR envelope generator.
- 39-point Eurorack format compatible patch bay.
Microvolt 3900 Specs
- Powder coated steel and walnut construction.
- Dimensions: 10.375″ x 7″ x 1.875″
- Weight: 3.6 lbs
- Power: 1.5A +15v DC power adapter
- Patch Cables: 5 Nazca Audio brand patch cables.
- Midi connector cable
- Universal DC power adapter
CHECK THE MANUAL HERE