February 2017 sees the launch of the “ES-5 mk3”. Functionally equivalent to the ES-5 mk2, the mk3 adds illuminated jack sockets, and matches the look of the ES-8 and other Feb’17 updates.
The ES-5 is an expansion module for the Expert Sleepers ES-3 Lightpipe/CV Interface. It piggybacks on one of the ES-3’s stereo channels to provide eight gate/clock/sync/MIDI outputs on the ES-5 itself, plus further expansion headers to connect up to six expansion modules e.g. the ES-4 Gate Expander. It can also be used to expand the ES-8.
The ES-5’s specifications are as follows:
- Digital input: connection from ES-3 module
- Analogue outputs: 8x 3.5mm jacks, DC-coupled
- Output voltages: 0V/5V
- Indicators: Illuminated jack sockets
- Expansion – 6 headers for connecting expansion modules e.g. the ES-4 Gate Expander
Software & Hardware Requirements:
- Note that connection to the ES-3 is by a simple plug-in cable for the ES-3 mk2/3 only. The original ES-3 requires some soldering to add the required connections.
- Unlike the ES-3 itself, the ES-5 requires particular software in order to generate meaningful output signals. Currently, the only such software is the ‘ES-5 Controller’ plug-in, part of Expert Sleepers Silent Way, and our Max/MSP external (see below).
- A Silent Way licence is not included with the ES-5 – however, the ES-5 Controller plug-in functions in a licence-free mode, so ES-5 users are not forced to buy Silent Way. Such users can than evaluate the rest of the Silent Way suite in demo mode.
- An ‘external’ for Max/MSP is available to enable users of Max to easily integrate the ES-5 into their patchers. This can be downloaded from the downloads page.
Power: 8mA @ +12v / 0mA @ -12v