The Erica Synths Black VCO Expander essentially is an advanced waveform mixer for their BLACK VCO or BLACK VCO 2, which also adds a whole host of other useful features, including: A transistor-based -2 OCT suboscillator with colour control (a lowpass filter); an additional waveform, similar to a folded sinewave and accessible via a three-way switch (along with Triangle and Sine); plus 3 different outputs (Full mix, Sub Mix only, and -2 OCT Sub only)
It allows you to explore beefy analogue wave design in brand new areas.
Matttech note:If you have the BLACK VCO 2, you will know that it already offers a -1 OCT sub output (one octave down from the main VCO frequency/pitch). By adding the Black VCO Expander you will be able to simultaneously access a second Suboctave at -2 OCT, and you will not only have front panel control over the level of your SUB in general, but also the blend of -1 OCT and -2 OCT versions.
Having many, many times patched up multiple outputs of an analogue VCO into a mixer in order to achieve this kind of thing, and found myself jamming with the levels and octave switch of the various waves and sub whilst recording, I can attest to this being an EXTREMELY useful feature! It not only saves you the bother of patching – and reduces cable spaghetti – but actively encourages live tweaking to a deeper level.
- Waveform mixer/inverter
- 3-wave waveform switch to switch between Sine, Triangle and….
- …a 3rd new waveform added by this expander called”Tits” (Their words, not ours. “Bum” would be an equally suitable name, once you’ve seen it on a scope). It is similar is shape/ sound to a wavefolded-sinewave.
- A transistor-based -2 octave suboscillator
- -1 and -2 octave suboscillator crossfade control
- Suboscillator Mix level control
- Suboscillator lowpass filter
- Diode limiter on output signal amplitude
- Three simultaneous outputs – Full mix, Sub Mix only, and -2 OCT Sub only.
Power: See BLACK VCO 2 Product Page
…and here shown with the BLACK VCO (v1)